Tuesday, January 12, 2010

too true Tuesday

Essie says:

Get Your Cheap On
 
Too True Tues(day) is your time to tell it like it is! Let the truth be known. Sing it loud, sing it proud. It is your chance to confess, let out your embarrassing secrets, and share with the world. Let it all out and let the truth set you free. This week, tell us how cheaptastic you can be. Now, everyone buys store brand toilet paper and aspirin when funds get tight. That doesn't count, I am afraid you are going to have to dig deeper. Buying generic cereal and putting it in an empty box of Cocoa Puffs for the kids type of deeper.
 
so here are mine:
  • I never, ever pay full price for bread of any sort, it's day old and 1/2 price or I bake it myself. 
  • I reuse ziploc bags until they have holes ( we freeze all our own veggies so there are lots of them)
  • I shop second hand and clearance, I will not pay full price for kids clothes.
  • I buy new looking books at the second hand store and save them as gifts.
  • I regift, especially if it is something that I wil not really use or the boys will not play with.
  • I freeze chicken/turkey bones until I have time to make soup with them. 
  • I make my family put on another sweater and slippers long before I will turn up the heat. P often wears a hat in the house.  
  • When there is not quiet enough dog food I will stretch it out with old leftovers or broth
  • I water down all of our juice and stretch all sorts of other things with milk or water.
There is nothing earth shattering here, I know but it is fun to play along and being a little cheap is a good thing, I think.

2 comments:

The Accidental Mommy said...

Those are some good ones, especially passing off good used books as new gifts-- are you sure you want to publicize that? LOL!

I am a bone chilled cold person so I use all the money I saved on other stuff to pay for extra heat in the house! I still keep it at 70, lots of people think that is low!

Mom 4 Kids said...

Thank goodness I found your blog again. I knew I had it saved somewhere but I could not remember the name and whenever I clicked on your box where you follow a blog it did not take me to your blog. Any who, here I am!

Ditto to all your cheap ways! Love it!