Friday, February 5, 2010

It never ends

Calvin has been in trouble every single say this week at school and this week he was only there for 3 days! I have told the school time and time again that they need to be proactive with him, I have told them that someone is going to get hurt and I think they thought I was over reacting and that  his therapist was over reacting as well.... I mean what the hell do we know.

Well apaprently something because  today they believed me. He hit someone with a chair. They are listenting now and he has a place to go and cool off when he is angry.

I am exhausted, I do not know if I can do this today, he has been on a such a bender for the last few weeks that I can not even begin to tell you all the stuff that has gone on. We have thought about all the possible triggers and obviously we are missing something.

I have to go make dinner, then when P gets home we get to deal with angry boy, we usually let stuff at school stay at school but when he crosses the line like this it is not that easy. I am not sure what do, I have been told that, although duct tape is not against the law ( yet) it is never a good plan. ( that was a joke in case you were wondering).

The pizza dough is calling.

5 comments:

Marty Walden said...

Praying for you.

The Accidental Mommy said...

Ugh. Hope it gets a LOT better SOON.

obladi oblada said...

Hey there! I hear you on the clueless teachers...they think we dont know our own kids...ugh. Good luck!

BT said...

Oh wow! I know just want you mean about his being on quite the bender for the past few weeks. I can practically feel the anxious uncontrolled energy rippling through the air from here! Not fun at all. You are doing good work just keep your cool, so be sure to give yourself credit for that.

Sometimes we just can't identify the trigger, no matter how hard we search.

Any chance he could handle it if you gave him the opportunity to do some "heavy work?" I'm thinking fill a wheel barrow with big rocks, wheel it across the yard and unload it. Over and over again, for no purpose! Or something else that will get him breathing hard? Any chance that he won't flip out over being asked to do that? Sometimes in the past with our P, we were able to get him settled enough to hear that we had this idea of heavy work just for his body to be having something to do that would use that energy he was feeling. If you don't have a wheelbarrow, it could even be just picking up big rocks and heaving them ahead of himself over and over. Or super hard jumping on the trampoline. Or take him to the Y and let him whale on the punching bag (I'm not kidding; we have done this.) Just anything to let that angry energy surface and find an appropriate outlet. Once he's breathing hard and can come back down to earth, maybe you could talk about any big feelings that may be hiding under the anger he's showing.

I'd love to hear about anything you try that seems to work. I always have this lurking feeling that we aren't far from another bout of this with our P.

Anonymous said...

So it's the school's fault that he assaulted someone with a chair?